5 Prevention Steps To Keep Your Basement From Flooding
Basement Flooding is Common in Alpharetta, Georgia
Coming home to a flooded basement will leave an Alpharetta homeowner in a lot of stress. Basement carpets will be soaked, and the furniture will be left with water damage. If not mitigated quickly, it can cause mold growth and leave your home smelling damp and murky for weeks.
If your basement continuously has flood damage issues, you might be wondering how you can prevent water from flooding your basement again? For those that live in places that get a lot of rain, this may be a source of considerable frustration and discomfort.
In this blog post, we will be going over common causes of basement flooding in Alpharetta and steps you can take to prevent you from being a victim of basement flooding.
The city of Alpharetta does not get nearly as much rain as other areas in the United States. According to Weather Atlas, the most rainfall occurs in February, meaning the month of February is the most common time of year for basement flooding in Alpharetta.
Rainfall is one of the leading causes of basement flooding. Heavy rainfall can cause gutters to get clogged and standing water surrounding the house. Even if you have not been a victim of basement flood damage, you need to take action when you notice standing water outside your home. The professionals at SERVPRO of North Fulton can ensure your home is equipped to handle heavy rainfall.
You cannot prevent disasters if you don’t know the reasons behind them. When it comes to basement flooding, some of the common causes are:
- Gaps in your window frames.
- Cracks in the foundation.
- Holes in the walls.
- Heavy rainstorms
- Faulty or broken water tanks, pipes, & sump pumps.
5 Basement Flood Prevention Steps
1) Install flood sensors in your basement. You can always count on flood sensors to keep the basement dry. Flood sensors come with moisture detection features along with immediate alert notifications.
2) Ensure that gutter maintenance is done regularly. Gutter maintenance is one of the most actionable steps you can perform when it comes to flood prevention. A thorough gutter cleaning will include the removal of all debris, including leaves and sticks.
3) Downspouts should be positioned so that access water is redirected at least four feet away from the foundation of your house. If the downspouts at your property are currently less than four feet, you should try adding extensions for a simple and quick way to avoid standing water from gathering around your house.
4) Ensure that water can’t get in through windows or the foundation. Make sure that the windows are properly sealed and repair any flaws or cracks that you may find.
5) Install a sump pump. Sump pumps are excellent systems for flood prevention, but only if they operate correctly. A sump pump is designed to drain water from where it (your basement) shouldn’t be and then store it in a “sump basin.” A sump pump will prevent water damage that potential flooding would have caused.
What is Flood Mitigation?
Flood Mitigation is the method of minimizing the damage and destruction of a property due to a disaster’s effects. Flood mitigation also applies to the “clean up” process that occurs following a natural disaster.
SERVPRO Flood Mitigation Steps:
- Assessing the situation.
- Removing water and moisture.
- Sanitizing and removing any hazardous material.
- Drying techniques to prevent any secondary damages.
What equipment is needed for Flood Mitigation?
The standard operation for removing flood water and getting rid of any moisture absorbed in the surfaces of a basement includes the use of air movers and dehumidifiers. It is common for the drying process to take 3-5 days.
To properly sanitize the place, you will need the help of professionals and their advanced antimicrobial products. Our SERVPRO team will work with your insurance company to insure all products and drying procedures are approved for reimbursement.
Demolishment equipment may be necessary because, during a basement flood, baseboards and sheetrock will absorb a small amount of water, causing them to buckle and swell. If not removed, it will end up affecting the insulation and wall framing.
Who To Call for Basement Flooding?
SERVPRO of North Fulton is a well-known company in the restoration industry. If you want your everyday life to be normal again after you have suffered damage from a basement flood, you should call the professionals at SERVPRO.
Our team is fully equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and the IICRC certifications to restore water damage in no time. Our goal is to have your basement restored to a pre-water damage state as quickly as possible. At SERVPRO, we understand how devastating and problematic water damage can be to your home, which is why we provide emergency services to our customers.
Contact us today at (770) 992-2777