5 Great Fireplace Safety Tips to Avoid Fire Damage
The professionals at SERVPRO have received numerous fire damage calls caused by ignorance of fireplace safety.
There is nothing like a cozy night by the fire, no matter what season it is. But, while a fireplace can add warmth and ambiance to any home, it's essential to be aware of the dangers that come with using one.
Out of all of the services that SERVPRO offers, fire damage is always the most emotional service because it causes severe property damage; therefore, it is often better to avoid the problem altogether.
This blog post will discuss five fireplace safety tips to help keep your family safe from fire damage. And if you do experience a fire in your home, don't worry! SERVPRO of North Fulton is here to help with any necessary fire damage cleanup.
Common damages caused by fireplaces
Fireplace damages can be extensive in the area where the fire is burning and in other parts of the house. For example, an unsafe fireplace may produce sparks that can easily ignite carpets, drapes, and other flammable materials. Also, if the chimney is not cleaned regularly, soot and creosote can build up and cause a dangerous and potentially deadly chimney fire.
Five safety tips to help avoid fire damage
The best way to deal with fire damage is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Here are five excellent fireplace safety tips to help you avoid a fireplace-related fire in your home:
- Get your fireplace and chimney inspected and cleaned by a professional every year. The right fireplace inspection company will be able to spot potential dangers before they become a problem.
- Keep a window cracked when using the fireplace to keep carbon monoxide fumes from building up in your home. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas, making it even more dangerous.
- Only burn dry wood in your fireplace. Wet or green wood produces more smoke and creosote buildup. Too much creosote buildup can lead to a chimney fire.
- Don't overload your fireplace with too much wood at once. A small, controlled fire is safer than a large, out-of-control one.
- Always keep a close eye on your fire while it's burning and ensure that all children and pets are a safe distance away.
What to do if you experience fireplace fire damage?
Fire damage is the type of damage that comes without warning. However, it's essential to know what to do to minimize the damage when it does occur.
When there is a small fire out of control in your fireplace, the best thing to do is extinguish it with a fire extinguisher. If the fire is large and out of control, evacuate the premises immediately and call 911. Once the firefighters have extinguished the flames, you must contact a professional fire restoration company to assess the damage.
Why Choose SERVPRO
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog post and found it informative! Fire damage is always a terrible thing to experience, but we hope that you can avoid it from happening in your home with the tips provided in this blog post.
When there is any smoke or fire damage in your home, it is best to contact SERVPRO of North Fulton for professional fire cleanup services. The professionals at SERVPRO have years of experience with all types of fire damage, and they are fully equipped to handle everything from small home fires to large-scale industrial blazes.
If you have any questions about fireplace safety or need help dealing with fire damage in your home, please don't hesitate to contact us. We will always be here to help you through the fire restoration process.