The 5 Most Common Reasons for Apartment Water Damage
Water damage can be a nightmare for apartment owners.
The professionals at SERVPRO of North Fulton have mitigated and restored multiple commercial water damages in the past year. However, we see apartment water damage as the most common of all the commercial losses.
Apartment water damage can cause extensive damage to not only one apartment but also the other units in your building. Therefore, the faster apartment water damage is mitigated, the less chance there is for further damage.
If you are a property manager or an apartment complex owner, this blog post is for you. First, we will review the five most common apartment water damage claims and provide tips on preventing them from occurring. In the end, you will find out why you should contact SERVPRO of North Fulton for your apartment water damage needs.
What is apartment water damage?
Apartment water damage is what it sounds like: water damage in an apartment complex. However, unlike other forms of water damage, apartment water damage often happens as the result of something that goes wrong in one apartment and affects surrounding units.
There are many reasons why apartment water damage happens so often, but the top five most common are:
- Broken Pipes
- Clogged Drains
- Appliance Leaks
- Sump Pump Malfunctions
- Heavy rains
We will be discussing each of these apartment water damage claims in detail to help you better understand how they happen and how you can prevent them from happening in the future.
1. Broken Pipes
A most common apartment water damage claim is from a broken pipe. A broken pipe usually happens when a pipe freezes and bursts as the ice inside expands. However, it can also occur due to corrosion, which weakens the pipes over time and makes them more susceptible to breaking.
There are a few things that you can do to prevent pipes from breaking and causing apartment water damage:
- Insulate your pipes: This will help to keep them from freezing and bursting in the winter.
- Check for leaks regularly: Leaks can cause pipes to break, so it’s essential to check for them regularly and have them fixed as soon as possible.
- Know where your water shut-off valve is: In the event of a broken pipe, it’s essential to know where your water shut-off valve is so you can quickly turn off the water and prevent further damage.
2. Clogged Drains
Clogged drains are another common cause of apartment water damage. A clogged drain can happen when someone tries to flush something down the toilet that doesn’t belong there or if hair and soap buildup in the shower causes a clog.
There are a few things that you can do to prevent clogged drains:
- Don’t flush anything down the toilet except for toilet paper: This is the number one cause of clogged drains.
- Install drain strainers in your shower: Drain strainers will catch hair and soap before they can build up and cause a clog.
- Clean your drains regularly: This will help to prevent clogs from forming in the first place.
3. Appliance Leaks
Appliance leaks are another common cause of apartment water damage. An appliance leak can happen when a washing machine, dishwasher, or refrigerator starts to leak water. It can also occur if an ice maker line breaks or if there is a problem with the plumbing that supplies your apartment with water.
There are a few things that you can do to prevent appliance leaks:
- Check your appliances regularly for leaks: This is the best way to catch a leak before it has a chance to cause damage.
- Know where your shut-off valves are: In the event of an appliance leak, it’s essential to know where your shut-off valves are so you can quickly turn off the water and prevent further damage.
4. Sump Pump Malfunctions
Sump pump malfunctions are another common cause of apartment water damage. A sump pump malfunction can happen when it fails to turn on or doesn’t work correctly and starts to leak water. It can also occur if the power goes out and the sump pump can’t operate.
There are a few things that you can do to prevent sump pump malfunctions:
- Test your sump pump regularly: This is the best way to ensure it’s working correctly.
- Have a backup power source: In the event of a power outage, a backup power source will ensure that your sump pump can still operate.
5. Heavy rains
Heavy rains can cause apartment water damage in a few different ways:
- Heavy rains can cause leaks in your apartment’s roof or windows.
- Heavy rains can flood basements and first floors, leading to water damage in apartment units on higher floors.
- Heavy rains can overwhelm sewer systems and cause sewage to overflow your apartment complex.
There are a few things that you can do to prevent apartment water damage from heavy rains:
- Check your apartment for leaks regularly: This is the best way to catch a leak before it has a chance to cause damage.
- Have a plumber check your apartment’s plumbing regularly: This will help identify any potential problems before they cause sewage to back into your apartment.
How SERVPRO professionals can help in the event of apartment water damage
If you experience any of these apartment water damage problems, SERVPRO of North Fulton is here to help. Our water damage restoration services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week—so we’re always here when you need us. We have the knowledge and experience to restore your apartment to its original condition quickly and efficiently.
When you choose to hire our team, you will receive:
- An apartment water damage assessment
- A tailored water damage restoration plan
- The use of our state-of-the-art water damage restoration equipment
- The expertise of our IICRC certified water damage restoration technicians
Contact us today to learn more about our apartment water damage restoration services.