Home Defender: 7 Steps to Battle a Foundation Crack Problem
A single foundation crack can cause severe damage.
Water damage can wreak havoc on a property, leading to serious structural issues and extensive repairs if not addressed promptly. One common culprit of water infiltration is the notorious foundation crack. Foundation cracks may appear harmless at first glance but can be the gateway to significant property damage, putting your investment and safety at risk.
In this blog post, we will explore the potential dangers of foundation cracks, share a real-life scenario where SERVPRO® came to the rescue after a home suffered from water damage due to a foundation crack, and detail the crucial steps our team followed during the water restoration process.
Whether a homeowner or a property manager, you must be well-informed about foundation cracks. Let us tell you why choosing SERVPRO for water restoration services is the wisest decision you can make to safeguard your property.
What is a foundation crack?
Foundation cracks are fissures or openings in the concrete or masonry walls and floors supporting a building. These cracks can occur due to various reasons, such as settling of the building, shifting soil, excessive moisture, or construction issues. While some cracks may seem minor, they have the potential to let water seep into your home, leading to substantial water damage if left untreated.
Tips to avoid a foundation crack
Prevention is the first defense against foundation cracks and subsequent water damage. Here are some vital tips to protect your property from the devastating effects of foundation cracks:
- Maintain proper drainage: ensure your property has adequate drainage systems to direct rainwater away from the foundation.
- Regular inspections: inspect your property's foundation to identify any potential cracks or weaknesses before they escalate.
- Control moisture levels: monitor the humidity levels in your home and address any water leaks or condensation issues promptly.
- Professional landscaping: opt for professional landscaping services to avoid planting trees and shrubs too close to the foundation, which may cause soil shifting and cracking.
Steps to follow after discovering a foundation crack
Taking immediate action is crucial if you discover a foundation crack in your property. Here are the steps you should follow when encountering a foundation crack:
- Document the crack: take photographs and detailed notes of the crack's size, location, and any other relevant details to provide accurate information to restoration professionals.
- Contact SERVPRO: contact SERVPRO's water restoration experts to schedule an assessment of the damage and initiate the necessary repair process.
- Secure the area: cordon off the affected area for safety reasons to prevent accidents or further damage.
A recent foundation crack job
Earlier this year, a homeowner in a suburban neighborhood discovered a subtle but growing foundation crack in their basement wall. At first, they dismissed it as a minor issue, but after a heavy rainstorm, they noticed water seeping through the crack, causing considerable damage to their belongings and flooring. In a panic, they immediately contacted SERVPRO for their specialized water restoration services.
Upon receiving the call, SERVPRO's highly-trained team of experts promptly arrived at the scene. They began thoroughly assessing the foundation crack and the extent of the water damage. Utilizing state-of-the-art equipment—including moisture detectors and infrared cameras—they identified the full scope of the problem, even tracing hidden moisture pockets that could lead to future complications.
Swift and precise water restoration process
With the complete assessment, the SERVPRO team swiftly implemented their water restoration plan. Their proven process involved the following crucial steps:
- Water extraction: the team immediately started removing standing water using powerful pumps and advanced extraction tools.
- Drying and dehumidification: high-capacity dehumidifiers were strategically placed to remove moisture from the affected areas, preventing further damage.
- Cleaning and sanitizing: SERVPRO's experts meticulously cleaned and sanitized the affected areas, ensuring no contaminants or mold growth would threaten the home's inhabitants.
- Repairs and restoration: Once the site was dry and sanitized, the team repaired the foundation crack and restored the damaged walls and flooring to its preloss condition.
Why choose SERVPRO for water restoration services?
The above example shows SERVPRO's exceptional expertise handling foundation crack-related water damage. But what sets SERVPRO apart from the competition? Here are some compelling reasons why customers should entrust their property to SERVPRO for water restoration services:
- Expertise and experience: SERVPRO's team comprises certified professionals with years of experience handling various water damage situations, including foundation cracks.
- Cutting-edge technology: SERVPRO uses advanced equipment and techniques to ensure a thorough and efficient restoration process.
- Rapid response: with 24/7 emergency services, SERVPRO is always ready to respond swiftly to water-related crises, preventing further damage.
- Comprehensive solutions: From water extraction and drying to repairs and restoration, SERVPRO offers a full-service package to address all aspects of water damage.
- Insurance liaison: SERVPRO works closely with insurance companies to facilitate the claims process and minimize stress for the property owner.
Foundation cracks may seem innocent, but they can lead to catastrophic water damage if left unchecked. As the real-life scenario showcased, SERVPRO's water restoration services are the ultimate defense against any water damage caused by foundation cracks. By promptly addressing foundation crack issues and choosing SERVPRO for their exceptional expertise and efficient restoration process, property owners can protect their investments, preserve their homes, and enjoy peace of mind knowing they have a reliable ally in the battle against water damage. Don't wait until it's too late—safeguard your property with SERVPRO today!